Wednesday 22 June 2005

What a Turn-Outer

After F.O.R.B. to old mates, I was invited for a sit-in in a garden, which turned into a BBQ.

Now, I really am not a berbie person, I just don't see the attraction of grilled food, unless they are fresh sea-food (preferably alive... Um, they are the best and that's why I don't do BBQ.) I mean, what's the bloody point of charcoaling burgers when it tastes so much better off a drive-thru? I don't think chicken tastes good when it's overcooked, which is always the case in berbies as people want to make sure it is indeed cooked. Let alone sausages, god, can't stand them anyhow, why would I want carbonised version in buns??

The thing is, every time I get to go to BBQ I am more interested in how much I get to drink, while staying away from all the smoky stuff. Then I somehow ALWAYS end up being in charge of the fire.

There are usually a bunch of guys who THINKS they can get the fire going, and just very good at making black smoke, and after colouring sausages in black I kinda have to quietly step in for a smoother running.

All you ever need to do is to start a flame, and put coals over it, not the other way around... What makes them think the flame will simmer DOWN into cold coals??

Anyway, so we started fire, and people chopped chicken and pork, varieties of veg, and the next thing I know I was sat in front of the fire, skewing and spicing the meat and veg... Oh, am so OCD. Why can't I let it go and let someone else do this whole thing? It would be funnier on the premise of them screwing it up, in a funny, summery sort of way...

Tomato, Chicken, Onion with jerk seasoning
Pork, Apple, Peppers with cumin and coriander
Chicken with lime and chilli

It took over 2 hrs to cook 12 kebabs, and they were lovely. The whole day turned out to be so perfect, except for the fact I found out that I am now going out with a bongo owner...