Sunday 3 April 2011

Bill Evans and His Genius

Well, a friend asked me about Bill Evans, and I am taking advantage of writing up an entry about Bill.

Bill Evans is a jazz pianist who was classically trained and known for his improvisational style and experimenting attitudes with new technologies such as electric piano. He is, in my opinion, relatively unknown / forgotten musician; none of my friends who are into / play jazz knew who he was, even though they ALL got THE album, "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis.

Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue" 1959
Bill Evans was the only white musician in Miles' sextet at the time of recording of "Kind of Blue", and said to have influenced Miles deeply during the session, where Miles took to impro heavily, while Bill Evans's problem with drug addiction worsened.

Bill Evans's music styles varied through years but he was always dedicated to his work and was a workaholic, which resulted in many, many albums, including many studio recoded albums.

I only have about 10 albums (He recorded about 50 or 60) and cannot say I know Bill Evans all that well, but his debut album "New Jazz Conceptions" was superb, and his second "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" is also amazing, which contains my absolute favourite "Peace Piece".
Bill Evans, "New Jazz Conception" 1956

Bill Evans, "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" 1958

"Peace Piece", to me, defines "beautiful music", it sounds more classical than jazz, and refreshing and very, very touching. Certainly not upbeat, but you must listen to this at least once to appreciate Bill Evans. 

As for live recordings he did produce many good quality recordings, interesting and diverse one is "Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival", as this is of very lively session, while Bill not making overstatement with his piano.
Bill Evans,
"Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival"
1968
His later recordings are slightly confusing, being similar to Miles Davis style in late 60's. With more electric samples the pieces sounds less soothing but more psychedelic.

He died in 1980 as the result of years of drug abuse.
I still dig Bill Evans and his genius today.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the tips :D
    Who says you are not Bill Evans' expert?
    Checking him out now as I'm typing and gonna take my time to slowly enjoy it.
    I realized I have been watching so much TV that ... I've not been unwinding with a nice piece of jazz. Really appreciate you take the time to write this out :D Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a problem, I am just nuts about him :p
    Hope you like it xx
    The most important thing is that you unwind, D!

    ReplyDelete