Wednesday 1 April 2009

Always on the Bright Side

If you know me, you know how antagonistic and annoying I can be when it comes to my life in general. But, as much negativity and bitchness I hold in me, I do have a knack for being really, really positive when needed to be. If a person before me was a bit blue, then I can put all my skills to make them at least hit some chirpy note by the end of conversation with me, and I never have failed to do that yet.

One time I was in my local gay bar, and was puffing outside with some youngish gay man. We've never met or spoke before, and we were both little tipsy, and he was a bit down, which, I suspected was what he did when he was drunk. This guy was complaining how he cannot remember his mother who died while giving birth to him. He was explaining that his family and relatives keep telling him how wonderful his mother was, and it was getting to his head as he had no idea what this woman was like.

"Do you ever feel guilty for being born?"
"No, no, but I just wish I knew my mother. I don't know what these people are talking about."

On he went. I guess his family was saying nice things about his mother to compensate his loss, and that was not working on him.

"Well, think it like this. Your mother probably died the happiest person on this face of the planet, because she succeeded to give birth to you. She got to be your mother, and that's something special. That should be enough for you to appreciate your mother's life."

said I. The guy turned around looking into my eyes with astonishment.

"Oh, my, god. Nobody put it like that before. Oh, my, god."

Then he started to cry. At that point I was shitting myself, I just made a grown-up guy cry, ohh, shit.

"Hey, are you OK, man?"
"Yeah, yeah, I am. It's just so deep. I was deeply touched. Perhaps too deeply."

That, coming from a gay man, was a bit disturbing.
So here we go. I got a talent. It's a mystery how I can never apply that on myself. Seriously a true mystery.