Sunday 14 November 2010

I am Older Today

And it's pissing down rain. Happy to announce I am not clinically depressed, and after making a call to my folks I will just forget that today signifies anything.

Having said that I just had to do something, I had to do something for the occasion, and as work commitment prevented for me to go away this weekend, plus Beaujolais Nouveau release is actually next week, am thinking of going to France in a week or so. When I do I stock up my wine, which are just everyday wine, nothing fancy.

Have emailed the store and was told to spend certain amount so they can give me discount.

That's all OK, except, I can't actually buy that many wines or the custom guy at the Dover would pull me to the side and confiscate my goods!

Let's say I have to buy £400 worth of goods to get £40 free stock, then I have to buy about 145 bottles of wine (£2.75/bottle). The custom's guideline indicates one can import 146 bottles of wine (110L). With their free stock I am over the limit! So do I give up on discount and just get 144 bottles?

Yet it's a million miles towards this still.
Maybe one day...
That sounded beyond absurd to me. Why do I chuck the opportunity of having freebie? Must be a way around.

So here is the solution. I buy something more expensive, and reduce the bottle count.

Let's say I but £20/bottle, how many can I get in £400? See, that's what I have to do.

So I told the store that I get 142bottles of cheap wine, and 2 (wow!) of VERY expensive (like £30 a bottle) wine, inc. the free stock.

They said the ones I wanted are not in stock. So now I have to find alternatives. I can't believe that I am buying wines and they have to be well over £15 a bottle, and I have never bought any wine priced over £12 even for my project. This is like being in a parallel universe. Unreal. Surreal. SO much fun! Ooo la la la la la....

7 comments:

  1. You are a Scorpio too? Well happy belated birthday :D Wine ... cheap or expensive, as long as the alcohol is intact will make a good party. :D Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you D.D. Yep, am the self-pitying Scorpio. We are the most mis-jusdged people of all, but we bounce back!

    The wine I had that day was pretty good xxx

    When is your birthday, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!! Self-pitying Scorp! HAHA!!! Yes, we are indeed. And yes, we will bounce back! (If not we just destroy ourselves and leave no traces :p)
    My bday is 15 Nov! Glad to meet fellow Scorp who love wine! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The day after mine then xx A fellow stinger!! Glad to be acquainted xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Stinger rocks! N to know you love wines too .. simply awesome! Though I know nuts about wine. Just love to drink it :p thanks for sharing more about wine ... in a way, I'm having a private tuition haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm flattered to know my meager knowledge did some useful thing to someone!

    Waiting for your blog post anxiously x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww. Thanks. I am honored too haha. Till the next post then. :p

    ReplyDelete