Sunday 28 November 2010

Beaujolais Nouveau 2010, Mystery

It's been 10 days since the release of this year's Beaujolais Nouveau. Since I went to France looking for it (knowing majority of French wouldn't care for this gimmick,) and failed to spot one, I had to come all the way home and purchase this from Waitrose.

Went to Waitrose near my work place on 23/11/2010 (release was 18/11/2010) and was told they sold out. This Waitrose is quite small, and is in the UK's biggest Korean region, that is the only reason why it was sold off, or else people wouldn't give a toss about Beaujo Nu in UK, but I was left without one as the result of picking the wrong store.


I immediately texted my gay boss and asked him to check out his local Waitrose, and his reply was,
"I'll do it for you on 25/11."

I sort of knew that Beaujo-Nu will be in ANY other Waitrose stores for next week or two, so I thanked him and went to LIDL to get some polish sausages, and stumbled on this;

£4.99
Now, I am talking about wines in LIDL. LIDL, I say it again. LIDL. You can't buy wines from them unless you are just looking to get some wine to have along with your TV dinner, or just had a bad day but not much money and wanted to get drunk.

I mean, look at the label, what is this? Beaujolais Nouveau Primeur??? I've noted the label is neither in French nor in English, and I have no idea what that is, but I have never heard of Nouveau labeled as en primeur.

Then I looked at the bottle next to it, oh I wish I took a picture of that, which label read,
"Chablis Premier Cru" and priced for £7. How odd, I thought. Chablis for £7, I could buy it, but 1er Cru?
Then I realized that it also said,
"Appellation Chablis Premier Cru Contrôlée"
Now, if anyone who buys this wine thinking it is genuine is a sucker. And I still bought the Beaujolais, anyway. How could I resist something this dodgy? God only knows what this is, but I guess I just wanted to try it.

I will report it when I taste the darn thing.


Next next day, my gay boss brought me this. He said there were plenty left in the store;
£5.99 @ Waitrose Putney
Good ol' Georges Duboeuf

I will report this one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment