Saturday 5 March 2005

What It Means to Be All That

I went to see a play in London years ago. It was the theatre version of The Graduate, and was calling in raving reviews from everywhere.

My normal motives for going to plays are usually based on the cast or the fact they are re-makes; I go and see them if they got interesting people acting in, or I have seen them before as films or something else.

This play I went to see had a huge attraction or two like that, obviously, because
1. it was The Graduate, my favourite film of all time, and
2. Mrs Robinson was played by Kathleen Turner, the serial mama.

But there was another HUGE attraction in this play which I didn't know about, and which made my jaw drop half way through the play.
"Benjamin, I want you to know I'm available to you."
Along that famous line, Mrs Robinson, Kathleen Turner, showed up on the stage BUTT NAKED.
"If you won't sleep with me this time -"
Oh my God. (Benjamin, me and probably the entire audience.)
"If you won't sleep with me this time, Benjamin, I want you to know you can call me up any time you want and we'll make some kind of arrangement."
That was the moment the illusion came down to the ground. The famous Hollywood actor, wearing nothing but a birthday suites, looking exactly like your mother (well, slimmer, to be fair) instead of this shape with nothing is ex-s and everything is perky and high up. I wouldn't say it was comforting, and I would certainly not say it was gross. It was just shocking. It was shocking because she was so daring, and she was so really there. I felt like I shouldn't be looking.

Naked body tells all, and that's exactly why it should be kept in private, at least partially. So is sex. I am sick of these overexposure of it.