Wednesday 19 January 2011

He was a Rescue

I went to an aqua shop the other day because my home tank has been showing some signs of water problems, and needed some meds for it.

Yet another Berlin Zoo collection.
I hate going to this particular aqua shop because the shop staffs are all very experienced fish keepers who think novices like me are idiots, who are there to drop money regularly because we are not fit to keep fish, and we only kill them. They are very knowledgeable, but use that cleverness to make you feel small. They have no respect for customers who essentially pay their wages, and one of them even started texting me while I was made to wait for my change. Why do I have to kiss some twenty something year old aquarium shop boy's arse to get a school of neon tetras?

Yet another shop I used to go was a little too far away and their fish didn't survive too well after me getting them home.

Anyway, so I went to this snooty shop, and was mesmerised by ciclid in one tank, which just had her eggs hatched, and was hovering over mini fish in one corner, and constantly going over to the baby fish who tried to swim away, swallowing it, and spitting it back to the shoal. Baby fish are about 3mm, and mum was about 6cm, and it was such a dramatic scene. I could stay there forever.

But I had to check on other things, so I moved around he corner, and saw some sharks there. I have one of them, which is really like a small, slim carp with red fins. Min'is about 10cm, and he used to be about 5cm, so I assumed that he was fully grown.

But then I noticed this another tank with another shark, exactly the same one, except this one is about 20cm.

This fish shop is actually famous amongst aquarists for accepting unwanted, over grown fish off fish keepers and resell them to people whoever want them. It hit me easily that this big shark was chucked by his last owner.

I stood there for a long time looking at this guy. I felt sorry for the fish, who is so healthy that overgrew the tank. I don't like people throwing cats and dogs, and I didn't feel good about seeing abandoned fish, either.

Yet, I still managed to kill my fish time to time, so let's not compare notes here.

3 comments: