Wednesday 22 December 2010

Snow! Slow Down!

That was the sign on M4 for past 3 days. And, yes, 1st day (which is 2 days after the actual snow day) the road was frozen and the sign was accurately helpful. But then it all melted away and there wasn't even any left on hard shoulders this morning, but the sign stayed.

Yet my gay boss's flight got cancelled twice now, 2nd one would have been today. He is trying to go and see his long time partner who left first and waiting for him, and poor thing got stuck here, running around sorting his work schedule out.

An inch of snow totally stops trains in this country. It is particularly bad in London, I think. Last winter I had to take trains to go to work in London, because I crashed my car and couldn't get a courtesy car because everyone else was crashing cars, too, so I left about 6.30am, and got in at around noon. All the trains were cancelled or delayed and I sat on freezing cold station bench for a long, long time.

We don't have snow tires, and apparently wearing chains is illegal now. My friend tried to get snow tires last week and was told the earliest he can get them will be April 2011. British tire makers (if there is any) don't do snow tires, so have to have them shipped all the way from Europe, I think.

We are snowed in like never before for this year and the last. Maybe we need to rethink the way we carry on our winters?

A few days before my "slip".

5 comments:

  1. really sorry to hear about your slip ... i can't even imagine cause I've not gone through anything close to that in this region. I'm glad you are okay. And the photo you shared above is serenely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was a year ago but still was bad! and believe me, you ae wise to stay away from the coldness :) And thanks, yes, I love this picture. Tell you the truth I put it up just because it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. a year ago? I thought this year is worse than last year! hope you are okay and the coldness are not treating you that bad! again ... hope you have a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks x
    Well, it was 8th Jan this year, to be precise, and Jan this year was the worst ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Jan next year may just be the best ever for you. :)

    ReplyDelete