Sunday 12 December 2010

Song about Hammersmith

I got stuck in Hammersmith trying to go to Fulham for a movie premier my gay boss gave me a ticket for, spent a good hour in that big round about circling the Walt Disney building. My phone kept picking up Disney wifi and kept asking me to type in employee ID to go online. There was a Thomas the Tank Engine show (Or was it Pixie Lott??) in Apollo and all kids or similar were running around. I gave up queuing when I heard the St. Paul church bell rang for 7pm as the premier was from 6.30pm and my gay boss warned me that there will be no trailers. I then pulled into the car park under A4, spent next hour in my car watching kiddies and traffic go by.... kiddies moving 20 times faster than traffic.


I was sitting there with this tall Disney building in full view, being forced to remember an old acquaintance who was supposed to be working there till last month, on its top floor. Somehow imagining him pulling out his car from snazzy underground car park amongst other prestigious and, or wasteful cars such as X5, or maybe 350Z, to go home, in a headache causing traffic like this, day after day after day. Him doing so was looping in my head like that GOLF TV ad,



No idea why I was thinking of you, you are just a distant memory to me now. God, I miss your BS ranting, well, no, not really. Never mind, the point is that I have too many memories around that part of London, despite the fact I've only been passing through there and never even had one drink in the town. Why do I have to get melancholy by sitting in front of Apollo, is a mystery to me, I have spent far more time in Camden, or Vauxhall.

Then I saw this guy, a really old guy with a cane, with a bag or two from a corner shop. His steps are narrow, so narrow in fact he barely moved when he leaned forward.

I sat there amongst all things in all kinds of motion, this guy was stagnant as if to make the statement to the world that his body was held down to the geographical spot there by the force of the planet, or he was in a different time flow.

On the background the traffic began to sped, against the blurry old guy, or at least it began to appear that way to my eyes.

A young man who was tall and decent looking was observing the guy for a little while from a few yards away, and I thought the youth was debating whether or not to mug the olden who clearly didn't have much on him. The young man then gently approached the old guy, and most likely offered to help him, though I am not sure what he could have done as the old guy was actually quite tall and showed the resemblance of well built man he probably once was, so cannot be piggy backed or anything, and the store bag did not contain much and seemed light, so all could anyone do was to walk along with him at 0.005mph. Well, old man gestured he was ok on his own and the young man walked away. It took further 2 min before the old guy was out of my window frame.

The traffic slowed down hell of a lot after he was gone. I was stuck there for altogether 4 hrs. I got tired of having visions on a loop about someone whom I was meant to have forgotten, very much regretting not to carry a book or magazine, so blared out Bill Evans tunes and pretended that Hammersmith was one big giant movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment