Wednesday 21 September 2005

The Great Escape

Why am I writing about mice for days, with all the tiny, boring details? It's about my new job. It just came back to me when I got a job in aviation/logistics. Those mice had very unique story attached to their tails through years.

I was reading my "booklet to the new employees" and clearly they insist on the safety in there many a times. My job will be dealing with a lot of inter-continental regulations and stuff, and it just came to me how I had this experience with my mice.

One year, I was visiting my family, and I couldn't find anybody who would look after my mice. So, I decided to smuggle them on board, in several cigarette boxes.

Yeah, I know, it's outrageous, and I was not happy doing that, but I really had no choice.

All went well, I passed the gate and went into a lady's room and safely put them back into the cage. The cage then went into a flat bottomed carrier bag.

It was all fine, till half way through the flight, till I decided to check in on them. They were happily munching the grains, so I put the lid down and hid the cage well under my seat.

15 min later, I hear a tiny scream coming from the person sitting in front of me. Then there were rush of air-hostesses running about, holding up a paper bag, apologising and hushing and muttering. Somehow, I knew what is was ALL about, but I did look down into my bag anyway. Yes, there was only one mouse, and, yes, the lid was half open. I didn't push it enough till it clicked.

I stood up, and went up to the air-hostess with a paper bag, and asked her if I could see inside.
"Oh, ma'am, it really isn't something for your eyes."

"Well, I really think it is. OK, please just tell me what it is you are holding."

She then tells me it is a mouse, and so I went on telling a total none-sense on how that mouse is NOT mine but is very important to me so I want it back.

She was so freaked out, she was so determined to kill it right away. I begged and apologised and kept telling all these lies. I did that because I had no intension of coming clean about the other mouse.

Anyway, turned out it was actually OK to import mice without checking them first. (I was told so then anyway.) So, I didn't risk anyone's health.

I am SO not proud of what I did, but I am more against of disposing animals for your convenience. I thought about the danger of doing it, and after some studying I came up with the conclusion that it's probably OK. (And to be precise, I couldn't find a info on how to do it legally.) I won't do it again, though.

So, back to the point. My pets are cheap. That's why I usually get my dogs from shelters, and buy mice on sale.