Saturday 10 September 2005

Taking That Turn

I got a call from the job agency, asking me if I was interested in logistics. Logistics is one thing I had an eye on, and saw it as the sour grape. That field is so specialized and only hires the people with experience. It looks so exciting to me, that field, because companies and business are connected throughout the world. Imagine chatting to your mates,
 
"Today I closed the deal with Copenhagen, Prague and Brussels. Belgians were real nice and asked me to join them at their famous beer restaurant next time I am in town."
 
Sounds fab to me, not in a smug way, but in a way that I will never get bored because nothing is the same each day, ever.
 
The job I was introduced to was not quite a closing deal kind of job, and it was much more unique that they had to spend 10 min explaining to me so I can get a rough idea. It indeed sounded too specific and I couldn't even imagine how my CV was picked as of a potential candidate.
 
"Would you be interested? Shall we forward your CV to them?"
"Um, yeah! Please do. It sounds interesting."
 
As I said so all I was thinking was that I will never stand a chance and I won't hear back from them with an update.
 
But the agency called back a day later. So off I went to an interview, thinking that I will never get it.
 
The reason I thought so was actually sensible. Aside from the fact I had no experience in that area, I was in fact rejected by a company for a similar role before. Two companies are standing facing to each other across two bypasses, amongst all other logistics / freight companies' offices. As my Herald slipped through the bypass my mind wondered off, thinking,
 
"How many companies will I be lucky enough to have interviews with, and then get rejected..."
 
The interview itself was scary enough. All the managers and the CEO were in a small room, facing to me, each of them flipping through my CV, asking various question, which was not so related to my skills. I sat on a couch, with that casty thing on my leg with crutches besides me, smiling and looking REALLY confident, REALLY x2 calm and REALLY interested.
 
For some reason, they looked REALLY impressed with me. All four of them. Weird, huh? What is more weird was that I wasn't really lying in the interview to impress them. Oh, I felt good about that. That is not what supposed to happen. It must be fake...
 
Next day, the agency calls me back, telling me that my impression was spot on, and that they DID like me.
 
"They got very good impression on you. It is good."
 
Wow. I was holding my phone tight, waiting for her to say,
 
"They picked you, congratulation!"
 
but instead she says,
 
"So, they would like to see you for the second interview."
 
...........WHAT????
 
"There is a SECOND interview??"
"Yes, they would like to ask you more in-depth questions."
"O, I, C."
 
I felt dizzy. How far am I have to trek, will I survive that?
 
I finally got to ask her if that is a good sign, or I am possibly still very likely to be rejected. I asked her if anyone got to that stage and rejected.
 
"No, no one else got a second interview. I think it IS good."
 
So, I waited for them to call me up for the second interview, which happened this morning.
 
"Could you make it there this evening?"
 
I was there 5 hrs later, and they were showing me how to use their system, and how I feel about the whole process etc.
It was very fascinating. It was world-wide. It was ever so changing.
 
And it was mine!! I was offered the job there and then!!!
 
Now I have a main job AND a part time bar job. I definitely took that turn and around.
 
Good luck to all of my friends who are still looking, especially Lee and Andy. I had a bit of luck, and you have the ability.